As our context changes, managers need to flex HOW they set expectations with their teammates. More »
Resources by topic
Identifying what your teammates need
- How to learn about someone's core needs
- Actively listening
- Becoming A Manager In 2021
- Questions for our first 1:1
- Fairness and management
- Video: Microsoft for Startups - Create Resilience – Resilient Management with Lara Hogan
- Track Changes Podcast: a conversation with management expert Lara Hogan
- Distributed Podcast: the secret to being a successful manager
Switching between mentoring, coaching, & sponsoring
- The difference between mentoring, coaching, and sponsoring
- Video: Mentorship & Sponsorship presentation
- What if you dread 1:1s with a direct report?
- What does sponsorship look like?
- How to be a sponsor when you're a developer
- Coaching Reflections
- When your coaching questions freak someone out
- ShopTalk Show Podcast: advice for people who are managers, becoming managers, or who are managed by someone.
- For the Love of Work Podcast: The Employee Influence
- CodeNewbie Podcast: how to be a good manager and a good employee
Balancing direction & empowerment
- On direction 'versus' empowerment
- How to manage up effectively
- How to say no right now
- My team is going in circles. Help!
- Managering in Terrible Times
- Creating predictability and stability in times of rapid change
- You can be directive without being a jerk
- Changelog Podcast: Leading leaders who lead engineers